Act Locally » April 30, 2019
We Desperately Need Medicare for All. These 10 Statistics Prove It.
As the House Rules Committee officially begins discussing Medicare for All, here’s a reminder of the disastrous state of American healthcare.
It's a big week for Medicare for All. Today the House Rules Committee will hold its first-ever congressional hearing to discuss U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal's (D-Wash.) Medicare for All Act of 2019, and on Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office will release a report addressing many of the key questions about single-payer healthcare. This discussion couldn't come soon enough. Here's a statistical snapshot of the gravity of America's current healthcare crisis.
- 28,300,000 - People uninsured in the United States in the first quarter of 2018.
- 530,000 - Estimated number of families who file bankruptcy each year due to medical issues and bills
- 44% - Americans who didn’t go to a doctor when they were sick or injured because of cost, according
- 34% - Cancer patients who borrowed money from friends or family to pay for care in 2016
- 79% - Increased death rate for cancer patients who filed for bankruptcy in 2016
- $75,375 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the U.S.
- $15,742 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the Netherlands
- $1,443 - U.S. per capita spending on pharmaceutical costs in 2016, the highest in the world
- 840% - Increase in spending for insulin from 2007 to 2017 on Medicare Part D (Medicare’s prescription drug plan)
- $5,110,000,000,000 - Estimated 10-year cost savings of the single-payer healthcare system proposed in Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Medicare for All Act
What do you want to see from our coverage of the 2020 presidential candidates?
As our editorial team maps our plan for how to cover the 2020 Democratic primary, we want to hear from you:
It only takes a minute to answer this short, three-question survey, but your input will help shape our coverage for months to come. That’s why we want to make sure you have a chance to share your thoughts.
if you like this, check out:
- Bernie Sanders’ Labor Plan Could Put a Union in Every Workplace in America
- Biden, Buttigieg and Harris Rewarded by Industry for Waffling on Medicare for All
- Meet Jessica Cisneros, the 26-Year-Old Left Challenger Taking on ‘Trump’s Favorite Democrat’
- In 2008, Democratic Socialists Endorsed Him. Now, a DSA Member Is Primarying Him.
- We Have a Dental Care Crisis. Medicare for All Could Solve It.